Our museum building at 1 N. Washington St. has a past as rich as many of its historical contents. It was registered as a Michigan Historic Site, by the Michigan Historical Commission on September 14, 1992. Around 1900, a two story brick building was built on this site by Alfred Hagerman.
In the early 1920's the building was purchased by Oxford Savings and Bank and torn down to the terrazzo floor which still remains today. The bank built the current structure using Indiana limestone. This building was the home of Oxford Savings Bank from 1922 until 1966.
After being left vacant for several years, it was donated to the Village of Oxford to house the newly formed Historical Society.The museum was formally dedicated and opened for the public to enjoy on August 5, 1972.